BSc Hons, (1989), MB BS (1992), FRCOphth (1996), MAHSC Honorary Clinical Chair, University Of Manchester (2023)
- Medical School: St Bartholomew's Hospital, London (1986-1992), Winner of the Ernest Withers Prize in Ophthalmology 1992
- Ophthalmology training at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital (1994-2002)
- Ocular Genetic research fellowship 1999-2000, including a 3 month visiting research fellowship at the Jules Gonin Ophthalmic Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Paediatric Ophthalmology Fellowship, Great Ormond Street Hospital and King's College Hospital (2001-2002).
- Clinical Head of Division, Manchester Royal Eye Hospital 2014-2019
- Chair of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists Paediatric sub committee 2019 to present
- President of the North of England Ophthalmological Society 2019-2021
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists Duke Elder Medal May 2023
Professor Biswas has nearly 30 years experience in ophthalmology and for the last 22 years he has specialized in children’s eye problems, developing unparalleled expertise in:
- Strabismus / lazy eye
- Paediatric Corneal and External Disease
- Paediatric Corneal Transplantation
- Developmental abnormalities of the front of the eye
- Retinopathy of Prematurity
- Congenital and Developmental Glaucoma
- Inherited eye diseases
- Consultant Ophthalmologist - Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, with a specialist interest in paediatric ophthalmology since 2002.
- Clinical Lead for Paediatric Ophthalmology
- Chair of the Paediatric sub-committee of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists since 2019
Other positions held:
- Clinical Head of Division, Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, 2012-2018
- North West Representative on the Council of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (2009-2012)
- North West Representative on the Paediatric sub-committee of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (2016-2018)
- Paediatric representative on the Ocular Tissue Transplant sub-committee of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists since 2015
- North West lead for Retinopathy of Prematurity to the Greater Manchester Neonatal Network
Professor Biswas has established:
- A popular and highly sought after paediatric ophthalmology training fellowship.
- Paediatric corneal transplantation service
- Multidisciplinary clinics in paediatric cornea, ocular allergy and retinal disease
He is also:
- A contributor to national guidelines for Retinopathy of Prematurity Screening and Treatment in the UK
- Author or co-author of over 50 publications in peer reviewed journals plus chapters in textbooks.
- Nominated for a national award for developing the Retinopathy of Prematurity Screening Service in Manchester